The deadline for applying to the Affordable New Jersey Communities for Homeowners and Renters property tax relief program (aka ANCHOR) has been extended through February 28, 2023.
The program provides property tax relief to New Jersey residents who owned or rented their main home on October 1, 2019. Here’s everything you need to know.
Who is eligible for the ANCHOR benefit?
You are eligible for a 2019 ANCHOR benefit as a tenant if you meet the following requirements:
• You were a New Jersey resident; and
• You rented (your name was on the lease or rental agreement) and occupied a residence in New Jersey that was your principal residence (main home) on October 1, 2019; and
• If your building had more than one dwelling unit, your unit had its own separate kitchen and bath facilities; and
• Your main home was subject to local property taxes, and you paid rent on that home (see Tax-Exempt, Subsidized, and Campus Housing); and
• Your 2019 New Jersey gross income was not more than $150,000
How much will I receive?
- Homeowners with income of $150,000 or less will receive $1,500
- Homeowners with income of more than $150,000 and up to $250,000 will receive $1,000
- Renters with income of $150,000 or less will receive $450
How can I apply?
Homeowners need an ANCHOR ID and PIN to apply online or by phone. If you did not receive a mailer or email with an ID/PIN, but filed a Homestead Benefit application last year, access the online ID and PIN inquiry system to retrieve your ID and PIN. You can also apply by phone via 877-658-2972. Tenants/renters must file online or via paper application (PDF).
When will you receive your payment?
Payments will be issued as checks or direct deposits beginning late Spring 2023 (no later than May 2023).
What is the deadline for filing?
Residents must file by February 28, 2023.
The post New Jersey ANCHOR property tax relief program — what you need to know appeared first on Jersey City Upfront.